The Bourbon Tour

Bourbon is an American whiskey that has been found on shelves worldwide. Kentucky, also known for their horses, is also known as the capital of the alcohol. One of GoNOMADs writers went down and took a tour of the Bourbon trail. Below is more from: Drive-Through Liquor: Exploring the Bourbon Trail

I have never before been to a liquor store that has an entire wall devoted exclusively to bourbon, or driven through a drive-through liquor window, until I visited the bourbon-loving state of Kentucky.

Bourbon History

Since the late 18th Century, Kentuckians have taken advantage of their natural surroundings by using the bountiful limestone spring water and prevalent grains grown on their surrounding fertile farmlands to distill fine Kentucky bourbon.

Bourbon was born in a place called Bourbon County, Kentucky, in 1786, and was named after the unique corn-spirit distilled specifically in this county.

Bourbon is unique to the US and is currently only made in the state of Kentucky. Today, most bourbon is now distilled in Nelson County, but the product still bears the name of its Bourbon County heritage.

What makes a bourbon?

All bourbons are whiskeys, but not all whiskeys are bourbons. Kentucky bourbon is unique in that the formulation must contain at least 51% corn, with the other 49% may be comprised of any mixture of barley, wheat or rye. Whiskey, on the other hand, can be concocted of any percentage or combination of the aforementioned grains.

Distillery Details

All of the distillery tours on the Bourbon trail are free, and most (except Jack Daniel’s due to the dryness of the county) include free tasting. The best time to visit is spring through fall, but tours generally run daily year-round.

For more, please visit